New York City Child Injury Attorney
Advocating for Injured Children & Their Families
Children are more vulnerable to injury than adults. Even minor accidents can lead to serious injuries in infants, toddlers, and older children. When a child is injured, the trauma can have a lasting impact on their life and on the lives of their parents and siblings.
At Irwin Law Firm, our New York City child injury lawyer is committed to helping families recover the full, fair compensation they are owed. We have a proven record of success in personal injury cases and are prepared to do whatever it takes to win for you and your child.
Call us at (212) 203-4529 or contact us online to request a free, no-obligation consultation.
Common Types of Child Injuries
Children can be injured in a wide range of accidents. Some of the most common types of child injuries are related to motor vehicle accidents, but many others can occur in the home, at school, and in other locations. If your child was injured in any type of accident, our firm can help you understand your legal options.
We handle child injury cases involving:
- Car accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- School accidents
- Playground accidents
- Sports accidents
- Daycare injuries
- Defective products
- Dog bites
- Lead paint poisoning
- Premises liability accidents
When Can Parents File a Lawsuit for a Child’s Injury?
Parents or legal guardians can file a personal injury lawsuit on behalf of an injured child. In fact, the law requires that a parent or guardian bring a legal action on behalf of a minor. If your child has been injured, you have a limited amount of time to take legal action.
In New York, the statute of limitations for child injury lawsuits is as follows:
- For most personal injury claims, parents have until the child’s 21st birthday to file a lawsuit. This includes claims involving car accidents and premises liability (i.e. slip and fall accidents).
- For medical malpractice claims, parents have until the child’s 21st birthday to file a lawsuit or until two and a half years after the date of the malpractice, whichever is longer. However, parents may not file a medical malpractice lawsuit on behalf of a child who is at least 18 years old but mentally competent.
- For defective product claims, parents have until the child’s 18th birthday to file a lawsuit or until three years after the date of the injury, whichever is longer.
It is crucial to speak to an attorney as soon as possible after your child is injured. The sooner you act, the better your chances of recovering the compensation you and your child are owed.
How Our Firm Can Help
At Irwin Law Firm, we understand how difficult it is to see your child suffering. We also understand the immense financial strain that a child injury can place on your family. Our goal is to help you recover the maximum compensation available so that you and your child can move forward on the path to healing.
We can handle all aspects of your child injury case, including:
- Investigating the accident and gathering evidence
- Working with experts to establish liability and the full extent of your child’s injuries
- Calculating the value of your damages, including your child’s current and future medical needs
- Handling all communication with the insurance company and defense on your behalf
- Preparing your case for settlement or taking it to trial, if necessary
Our New York City child injury lawyer is committed to providing the compassionate, personalized legal guidance your family needs and the aggressive advocacy you deserve. We are not afraid to take on large insurance companies and corporations, and we are prepared to go to trial if the responsible party is unwilling to offer a fair settlement.
Discuss Your Case with a Child Injury Lawyer in NYC
If your child was injured, you may be facing overwhelming medical expenses, lost income, and other damages. Our firm can help you fight for the financial recovery you and your child are owed.
Call (212) 203-4529 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our child injury attorney in New York City.##END##